Finisher of over 120 ultra endurance events in 17 countries, Travis Macy is a speaker, author, coach, and professional endurance athlete. He is the author of The Ultra Mindset: An Endurance Champion's 8 Core Principles for Success in Business, Sports, and Life, and he set a previous record for Leadman, an epic endurance event consisting of a trail running marathon, 50-mile mountain bike race, Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race, 10k road run, and Leadville 100 Run, all above 10,200' in the Rocky Mountains. Travis lives with his wife and two young children in the mountains around Evergreen, Colorado.
A former classroom teacher with a Master's degree in Education, Travis works with his speaking and consulting clients in advance and tailors his interactive, engaging talks to individual audiences according to best practices for teaching and learning. Along with his consulting team, Travis leads executive retreats for high-performers in Colorado and around the world.
Macy’s racing and adventure exploits have been covered by The New York Times, ABC, Penthouse Magazine, Runner’s World, Adventure Sports Magazine, Competitor Magazine, UltraRunning Magazine, Trail Runner Magazine, and Breathe Magazine, among others.
Travis’ writing circulates widely, and recent outlets include UltraRunning Magazine, Backpacker Magazine, Trail Runner Magazine, Sleepmonsters.com, ColoradoRunner.com, Colorado Serenity, and iRunfar.com. He composed the text for two coffee table photo books about adventure racing: Adventure Racing World Championship Scotland (Orange Expressions, 2007) and Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge 2009 (Orange Expressions, 2010). His recent book is The Ultra Mindset: An Endurance Champion's 8 Core Principles for Success in Business, Sports, and Life (Da Capo Press, 2015). Travis writes a monthly email newsletter and composes a column for UltraRunning Magazine.
Macy rarely finishes outside of the top few percent in ultradistance events in adventure racing, ultrarunning, mountain biking, snowshoeing, skiing, triathlon, and multisport. His racing resume includes wins and high finishes in, among others:
- Leadman: trail running marathon, 50-mile mountain bike race, Leadville 100 Mountain Bike, 10k road run, Leadville 100 Run--all completed in one summer in the Colorado Rockies (record holder)
- Adventure Racing World Championship: non-stop racing for 5 to 8 days in Sweden, Norway, Brazil, and Scotland with running, mountain biking, skiing, winter mountaineering, orienteering, ocean sailing, canyoneering, spelunking, and more
- Wulong Mountain Quest and Ordos Adventure Challenge: 5-day stage races in China through ancient villages, rice paddies, limestone canyons, deep caves, booming cities, vast deserts, and steep mountains
- Primal Quest: America’s largest and most prestigious adventure race, with two podium finishes in two attempts
- 24 Hours of Moab and 24 Hours of Leadville: non-stop, round-the-clock solo mountain biking races over desert slickrock and high mountains
- Rock and Ice Ultra: weeklong, self-supported winter journey across Canadian northlands on snowshoe and foot
- Mount Taylor Quadrathlon: road cycling, running, skiing, and snowshoeing to and from the summit of New Mexico’s Mt. Taylor at 11,306 feet
- Speight’s Coast to Coast: classic multisport consisting of one-day crossing of New Zealand’s South Island via road cycling, trail running, and river kayaking
- Full racing results here
A sponsored athlete for 15 years, Macy has represented a variety of industry leaders, including Merrell, Salomon, Spyder, Nike, Zanfel, Eastern Mountain Sports, and Osprey as a professional athlete. His current sponsors include Vasque Footwear, the adrenalin project, injinji, Ulimate Direction, AYUP Lights, Vespa, Native Eyewear, and Northern Lites Snowshoes. Travis’ sponsors receive extensive exposure at races, and other events, in his writing, online, on TV, and in print and social media. Prospective sponsors should email email@example.com.
Travis consults for books, articles, videos, and other media related to endurance racing, training, nutrition, and mindset. He enjoys helping people make the most of life and is happy to participate in interviews.
Macy retired as a high school teacher to found and run a successful education consulting firm, Macy College Consulting, with his wife. He applies the same best practices for instruction, communication, learning, and improvement with the businesses, executives, and adult endurance athletes he coaches.
Travis serves on the Board of Advisors for Team U, the only intercollegiate fundraising endurance team dedicated to improving global health and alleviating poverty. Team U uses sports as a vehicle to empower both athletes and non-athletes alike to make positive changes in their own lifestyles, in their campus communities, and around the world.
Limited selection of Travis and The Ultra Mindset in the media:
The New York Times, Investor's Business Daily, ABC, Associated Press, Entrepreneur Magazine, Competitor Magazine, Yahoo's GrindTV, SpartanUp!, Inspire Nation, Trail Runner Nation, Runner Academy, NordicTrack.com Blog (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)